- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- it's comfortable, homey, and has lots of history
- if it's crowded as all, it will only be with locals
- it's a bit off the beaten track, so is an extra journey to get here
- if you're looking for five-star luxury stay away
Babanango Hotel Review
It's worth the trek from Isandlwana to stay in one of the country's most famous watering holes. This is where the cast of the movie Zulu Dawn, starring Sir Richard Attenborough and Michael Caine, rested up and relaxed in the late '70s. It's a tiny place decorated in country style, with lots of wood and earthy colors. Don't expect a gourmet meal, but the grilled rump steak and french fries are tasty and inexpensive.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3 Nts in Durban this May Fr $149+/Nt Expedia
- Cruise to Durban: 3 Nts on MSC Cruises Fr $279 Expedia
- MSC Sinfonia (MSC Cruises) 4 Nt Cruise to Durban Fr $609 — $609 Expedia
- Cruise Through Africa with MSC Cruises Fr $939 — $939 Expedia
- Journey to Africa on the MSC Sinfonia (MSC Cruises)! Fr $1,919 — $1,919 Expedia
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
My family - which includes our two 14 year-old children - are considering a 2 week trip to South Africa at the end of July. Read more
· News & Features
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more
It happens all the time: you're just stopping in to grab one thing and the next thing you know, you've... Read more