- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Babanango Valley Lodge
At a Glance
- ultra-friendly, knowledgeable hosts
- great personal service
- delicious home-cooked meals
- it's a long, bumpy road from the main road to the lodge
Babanango Valley Lodge Review
This tiny guest lodge lies at the end of a rutted dirt road on an 8,000-acre cattle farm. Obviously, it's not the sort of place where you constantly pop in and out, but that's okay—you probably won't want to leave anyway. The lodge sits at the head of a steep valley, far from any other buildings and with tremendous views of acacia-studded grasslands and hills. John and Meryn Turner, the charming hosts, and their very hospitable team, go out of their way to make you feel at home. John is a registered guide, and many people stay at the lodge as part of his battlefield tour. Rooms are decorated in contemporary style with fluffy white duvets and raw-silk lamp shades—simple, comfortable, and elegant. The four-course table d'hôte dinner focuses on traditional South African fare, including fresh farm produce. Battlefield tours, including a picnic lunch, cost R870.
- Address: 15 km (9 mi) off R68, near Babanango, Babanango
- Phone: 035/835-0062
- Location: Babanango
- 9 rooms.
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Riverside on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $116+/Nt Expedia
- Book the Hilton Durban 3 Nts in May Fr $138+/Nt Save with Expedia, $46/night less
- Hot Deal on a 3 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $279 Expedia
- Durban Savings! Book at Protea Edward Durban Fr $141+/Nt — $141 Expedia
- Visit Durban with MSC Cruises! 4 Nts Fr $609 — $609 Expedia
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
I have been attempting to book a trip to Africa for a year now, not sure I am any closer to an itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more