When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
The height of summer (December and January) brings heat, humidity, higher prices, and crowds, who pour into "Durbs," as it's fondly known, by the millions. Locals know never to brave the beach on holidays or over the Christmas season except for an hour or two from 6 am—one of the nicest times there. June and July are Durban's driest months, and while you can never predict the weather, expect warm, dry days and cool nights.
The best time to tour KwaZulu-Natal is early autumn through winter and into spring (April to October), with the coast particularly pleasant in winter—you'll see people swimming. April is a lovely time to visit the city (avoid Easter weekend if you can), though most of this time is pleasant enough, with warm air and sea temperatures.
Some facilities in the Zululand game reserves close in summer because of the extreme and unpleasantly high temperatures.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Durban: Save this May Fr $167+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Durban this May Fr $174+/Nt Save with Expedia, $57/night less
- Sail to Durban with MSC Cruises, 7 Nts Fr $949 Expedia
- Durban Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Riverside Fr $116+/Nt — $116 Expedia
- Cruise deals to Durban with MSC Cruises, 3 Nts Fr $279 — $279 Expedia