- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Johannesburg Botanical Gardens and Emmarentia Dam
Johannesburg Botanical Gardens and Emmarentia Dam Review
The large and beautiful botanical gardens here are five minutes from Greenside. This gigantic parkland, dotted with trees, statues, fountains, and ponds, is a wonderful haven. You can relax on benches beneath weeping willows surrounding the dam and lake, where canoeists and windsurfers brave the water, or wander across to the 24-acre rose and herb gardens. The gardens' flowers include an alpine collection and a cycad collection. On weekends bridal parties use the gardens as a backdrop for photographs.
- Address: Thomas Bowler St., Roosevelt Park, Johannesburg, 2195
- Phone: 011/782-7064
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Daily sunrise--sunset
- Location: Northern Suburbs
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Explore South Africa! Flights to Johannesburg From $798 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- $219 & Up: Cheap Johannesburg Stay Save with Hotels.com, $43/night less
- Special deal: 4-Star Sunnyside Park Fr $117+/Nt Save with Expedia, $39/night less
- 4-Star Johannesburg Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1372 Expedia
- $162 & Up: Cheap Johannesburg Stay — $162 Hotels.com
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
My family - which includes our two 14 year-old children - are considering a 2 week trip to South Africa at the end of July. Read more
· News & Features
Inspired by the setting of the exciting World Cup?... ... Read more
Tourism is likely to increase once the world sees how much South Africa has to offer...... Read more