- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Saxon Hotel
At a Glance
- possibly the most exclusive address in Gauteng
- exceptionally high security
- good for business travelers or high-profile folk who'd rather not see anyone else in the corridors
- some might find the atmosphere a bit snooty
- children under 14 not welcome in restaurant
Check Rates from our Partners
The Saxon Hotel Review
In the exclusive suburb of Sandhurst, adjacent to the commercial and shopping center of Sandton, the Saxon Hotel has repeatedly received awards for its excellence. Heads of state have stayed here, including Nelson Mandela, who came here after his release from prison and to work on his autobiography, Long Walk to Freedom. The butlers pride themselves on keeping files on their guests, right down to what they order from the bar. An azure pool adjoins the sleek, modern building. Inside, the feeling is calm and classical, and there's an extensive African art collection on display throughout the hotel. Rooms are huge, with big bay windows overlooking the gardens or pool. Large-screen TVs, DVD players, surround sound, and a workstation with a fast Internet connection are standard. The delightful restaurant has a wonderful setting.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
Inspired by the setting of the exciting World Cup?...... Read more
Tourism is likely to increase once the world sees how much South Africa has to offer...... Read more