- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
J. G. Strijdom Square
J. G. Strijdom Square Review
This square was once dominated by a huge bust of former pro-apartheid prime minister J. G. Strijdom. However, on May 31, 2001—exactly 40 years to the day after the government declared South Africa a republic—the supporting structure of the whole edifice crumbled, and Strijdom fell unceremoniously into the parking garage under the square. All that remains is a statue by Danie de Jager of charging horses atop a high column.
- Address: Church and van der Walt Sts., Tshwane, 0002
- Location: Pretoria
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Explore South Africa! Flights to Johannesburg From $798 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Stay 3 Nights and Save 25% on Your Stay!: Sunnyside Park in May Save with Expedia, $39/night less
- 4-Star Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank Fr $182+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $51/night less
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Johannesburg Fr $1372 Expedia
- Book 3-Star Mercure Johannesburg Midrand Fr $64+/Nt — $64 Expedia
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
My family - which includes our two 14 year-old children - are considering a 2 week trip to South Africa at the end of July. Read more
· News & Features
Inspired by the setting of the exciting World Cup?...... Read more
Tourism is likely to increase once the world sees how much South Africa has to offer...... Read more