- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Apartheid Museum Review
The Apartheid Museum takes you on a journey through South African apartheid history—from the entrance, where you pass through a turnstile according to your assigned skin color (black or white), to the myriad historical, brutally honest, and sometimes shocking photographs, video displays, films, documents, and other exhibits. It's an emotional, multilayered journey. As you walk chronologically through the apartheid years and eventually reach the country's first steps to freedom, with democratic elections in 1994, you experience a taste of the pain and suffering with which so many South Africans had to live. A room with 121 ropes with hangman's knots hanging from the ceiling—one rope for each political prisoner executed in the apartheid era—is especially chilling.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Explore South Africa! Flights to Johannesburg From $798 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Stay 3 Nights and Save 25% on Your Stay!: Sunnyside Park in May Save with Expedia, $39/night less
- 4-Star Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank Fr $182+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $51/night less
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Johannesburg Fr $1372 Expedia
- Book 3-Star Mercure Johannesburg Midrand Fr $64+/Nt — $64 Expedia
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
My family - which includes our two 14 year-old children - are considering a 2 week trip to South Africa at the end of July. Read more
· News & Features
Inspired by the setting of the exciting World Cup?...... Read more
Tourism is likely to increase once the world sees how much South Africa has to offer...... Read more