- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Johannesburg Zoo Review
Smaller than its Pretoria counterpart but no less impressive, the city's zoo makes for a pleasant day trip, and with plenty of lawns and shade, it's a good place to picnic. The large variety of species (more than 250) includes rare white lions and highly endangered red pandas. The polar bear enclosure has a viewing tunnel where you can see the bears cavorting underwater (the zoo has the only polar bears in Africa). Perhaps the best way to see the zoo is to rent a golf buggy for about R120 per hour, as it's so large that walking around it can be very tiring. (Get there early on a weekend to reserve a buggy.) Afterward, stroll past Zoo Lake in the large, peaceful park across the road.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Explore South Africa! Flights to Johannesburg From $798 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Sunnyside Park in May: $117 & Up Save with Expedia, $39/night less
- $182 & Up: Cheap Johannesburg Stay Save with Hotels.com, $62/night less
- 4-Star Johannesburg Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1368 Expedia
- Book the Mercure Johannesburg Midrand 3 Nts in May Fr $64+/Nt — $64 Expedia
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
The Grace Hotel in Rosebank, which has been one of the best places to stay in Johannesburg for many years, will close this month. Read more
· News & Features
Inspired by the setting of the exciting World Cup?...... Read more
Tourism is likely to increase once the world sees how much South Africa has to offer...... Read more