- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Johannesburg is notorious for being a dangerous city—it's quite common to hear about serious crimes such as armed robbery and murder. Even South Africans fear it, regarding it as some Americans regard New York City: big and bad. That said, it's safe for visitors who avoid dangerous areas and take reasonable precautions. Do not leave bags or valuables visible in a car, and keep the doors locked, even while driving (to minimize the risk of smash-and-grab robberies or hijackings); don't wear flashy jewelry or carry large wads of cash or expensive equipment. Never, ever visit a township or squatter camp on your own. Unemployment is rife, and foreigners are easy pickings. If you wish to see a township, check with reputable companies, which run excellent tours and know which areas to avoid. The Apartheid Museum and Cradle of Humankind are perfectly safe to visit on your own.
It's inadvisable to drive yourself in and around the city, as certain areas are known carjacking spots. Carjacking is so prevalent that there are permanent street signs marking those areas that are most dangerous. Order a car service or transportation from your hotel for trips in and around the city.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Explore South Africa! Flights to Johannesburg From $798 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at The Reef Fr $79+/Nt Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- $219 & Up: Cheap Johannesburg Stay Save with Hotels.com, $43/night less
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Johannesburg Fr $1372 Expedia
- Johannesburg Savings! Book at Sunnyside Park Fr $117+/Nt — $117 Save with Expedia, $39/night less