Safaris Hotel Reviews
Accommodations range from fairly basic huts to the ultimate in luxury at most of the private camps. The advantage of a private lodge (apart from superb game-viewing) is that often everything is included: lodging, meals, beverages including excellent house wines, game drives, and other activities. You'll also be treated like royalty. (Indeed, you may well brush shoulders with royals and celebs of all kinds.) Note that there are no elevators in any safari lodging facility in Kruger.
At most establishments, prices include a three- to five-course dinner plus a full breakfast. Most places now have at least one vegetarian course on the menu. Many lodges and hotels offer special midweek or winter low-season rates. If you're opting for a private game lodge, find out whether it accepts children (many specify kids only over 12), and plan to stay a minimum of two nights, three if you can.
Most national parks have self-catering accommodations (you buy and prepare your own food): budget huts from R250 per couple per night and much more expensive (but worth it) cottages in the more remote and exclusive bush camps that range from R600 to R1,100. Visit the South African National Parks Web site (www.sanparks.org) to get information and book accommodations. Bookings open every September 1 for the following year. Make sure you book well in advance and, if possible, avoid July, August, and December, which are South African school vacations. If you can, book by phone. It's quicker and your booking will be confirmed (and paid for if you wish) on the spot.
Browse Safaris Hotels
Browse Safaris Hotels By Location
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve
- KwaZulu-Natal Parks
- Manyeleti Game Reserve
- Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve
- Pilanesberg National Park
- Sabi Sands Game Reserve
- Samara Private Game Reserve
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town & Namibia IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa Experience — $4,149 IExplore