Lion Sands Private Game Reserve
Lion Sands Private Game Reserve Review
Separated from Kruger National Park by the Sabie River, the reserve has been owned and operated by the More family for four generations. The reserve was purchased in 1933 as a family retreat and opened to the public in 1978 with two lodges and 10,000 acres of undisturbed wildlife that's available only to its guests. Today, under the watchful eyes of current owners and brothers, Nick and Rob More, the reserve offers guests four different lodging options: the ultraluxe Ivory Lodge, the more economical River Lodge, the once-in-a-lifetime Chalkley Treehouse (yes, it really is a bed on a platform in a tree, but nothing like the tree house in your backyard), and for larger groups the More family vacation home, the 1933 Lodge, complete with personal chef, guide, pool, gym, and wine cellar. The brothers are so committed to keeping the reserve as close to its original state that they employ a full-time ecologist, the only reserve in the Sabi Sands group to do so. Guests of the Lion Sands Private Game Reserve can take direct scheduled flights to the MalaMala Airfield through SA Airlink.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town & Namibia IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa Experience — $4,149 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
My family - which includes our two 14 year-old children - are considering a 2 week trip to South Africa at the end of July. Read more
· News & Features
We're sure your friends' Instagram photos of their puppies are super cute, but Brad Tully's animal snaps... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more