At a Glance
- spacious accommodation
- lovely organic, unpretentious bushveld feel
- best food in Sabi Sand
- it's quite a walk from some of the rooms to the main lodge (although transport is available)
- refuse the crackling log fire if you're at all congested
Boulders Lodge Review
As you walk over the wooden bridge spanning a reed- and papyrus-fringed pond, you'll find yourself in the midst of traditional Africa at its most luxurious. The terra-cotta colors of the polished stone floors blend with the browns, ochers, creams, and russets of the cow-skin rugs, the hide-covered armchairs, the hand-carved tables, the stone benches, and the carefully chosen artifacts that grace the surfaces. Tall pillars of woven reeds, old tree trunks, and stone walls reminiscent of Great Zimbabwe support the huge thatch roof, and from every side there are stunning bushveld views. You're guaranteed to gasp when you walk into your sumptuous suite. An entrance hall with a fully stocked bar leads into your glass-sided lounge dominated by a freestanding fireplace. Earth-colored fabrics and textures complement leather and wicker armchairs, a zebra-skin ottoman, and desks and tables fashioned from organic wood shapes, with writing, reading, and watercolor materials. A herd of impalas could easily fit into the bathroom, which has dark stone floors, a claw-foot tub, his-and-her basins, and an indoor and outdoor shower. Every door leads out onto a big wooden deck with a bubbling horizon pool, inviting sun loungers, and bushveld views. Request Room 11 or 12, which overlook a waterhole.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town & Namibia IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa Experience — $4,149 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
The Grace Hotel in Rosebank, which has been one of the best places to stay in Johannesburg for many years, will close this month. Read more
· News & Features
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Apparently 2013 is the year of major airline uniform upgrades.... Read more