At a Glance
- more affordable than many other Sabi Sands lodges
- one of Sabi Sands' best-loved camps for its old-time nostalgic atmosphere
- superb game-viewing
- easy road access from Johannesburg
- malaria area
- gets tour groups
- more of a hotel feel than other lodges
Kirkman's Kamp Review
You'll feel as if you've stepped back in time at this camp. The rooms are strategically clustered around the original 1920s homestead, which, with its colonial furniture, historic memorabilia, and wrap-around veranda, makes you feel like a family guest the moment you arrive. That intimate feeling continues when you sleep beneath a cluster of old photographs above your bed, slip into a leather armchair in front of a blazing log fire, or soak in your claw-foot bathtub in the nostalgia-laden bathroom. Cocoon yourself in your room with its private veranda looking out onto green sweeping lawns, or mingle with the other guests in the homestead where you'll find it hard to believe that you're in the 21st century. You'll see game galore in Sabi Sands (the size of New Jersey), which has the highest density of leopards in the world. Kirkman's is ideal for families and family reunions.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- Cape Town & Namibia — $3,939 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more