At a Glance
- excellent value for money
- very friendly staff and super-knowledgeable rangers
- great mountain views
- perfect for families
- superb bird-watching
- no children under six on game drives (babysitters available, however)
- game not as prolific as Sabi Sands and Timbavati
Jackalberry Lodge Review
This lodge offers understated luxury, excellent food, superb guiding, and the Big Five at half the price of some of the better-known lodges. The air-conditioned thatch-and-stone chalets face the purple Drakensberg Mountains and lie in pristine bushveld that nudges the public areas and pool. It's commonplace to watch a warthog munching while you do the same, or a giraffe wander past as you sun yourself. Chalets have stone floors, braided straw rugs with leather bindings, deep armchairs, and beaded cushions in soft earth tones, all echoing a simple but elegant African theme. Spacious bathrooms have his-and-hers sinks, a tub with a bushveld view, and indoor and outdoor showers. The rangers are terrific, the staff friendly and efficient, and a particular bonus is that kids of all ages are welcome. Trained babysitters keep them occupied while you are off on game drives. For a little extra you can book the two-bedroom family chalet or one of the two large rooms where the bush comes right up to your doorstep. Don't be surprised if a herd of curious zebras eyeballs you as you sit on your large, private stoop.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- Cape Town & Namibia — $3,939 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
I have been attempting to book a trip to Africa for a year now, not sure I am any closer to an itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more
It happens all the time: you're just stopping in to grab one thing and the next thing you know, you've... Read more