A tiny settlement west of Grahamstown, Alicedale was once an important railway town. The demise of the steam train, however, sent Alicedale into decline, turning it into a virtual ghost town populated by a depressed band of unemployed wraiths subsisting on meager railway pensions and funds sent home from family members working elsewhere. The development of a major golf course, hotel, and game reserve, however, has brought life back to Alicedale: property prices have risen, unemployment is down, and a sense of relative prosperity is slowly settling on the town.
Alicedale at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Eastern Cape
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Port Elizabeth Fr $118+/Nt Save with Expedia, $39/night less