Getting Here and Around
It's easiest and best to tour this area by car. Roads are generally in good shape, but there's a distinct difference in road conditions east and west of Grahamstown. To the west (that is, on the PE side) roads are wide, often dual lane, and well maintained. East of Grahamstown the N2 is a single-lane road with no shoulders, few fences, and quite a few potholes.
From PE, the drive is approximately 1½ hours, and half an hour from Alicedale. Bus services (Greyhound, Intercape) stop in the center of town. There's also Minilux, a minibus shuttle that runs from PE Airport to Grahamstown most days of the week and then on to East London.
Grahamstown is small enough that you can easily walk around on foot, although you should take a taxi at night.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: African Pride Hacklewood Hill Country House Fr $118+/Nt Save with Expedia, $39/night less