When to Go
When to Go
Although winters are pretty mild, especially farther north along the Wild Coast, summer—from September to April—is the most popular time to visit, especially for sun worshippers. (The beaches are best avoided at Christmas and New Year's, as they become severely overcrowded with hordes of reveling locals.) But even winter has its attractions. The sardine run, usually in June or early July, is becoming a major draw, and July's (sometimes late June's) National Arts Festival draws thousands of cultural pilgrims to the delightful university town of Grahamstown.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3 Nts in Port Elizabeth this May Fr $118+/Nt Save with Expedia, $40/night less