The Western Cape Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
From Soil to Oil
South Africans are beginning to produce extra-virgin olive oils that are as excellent as their wines. One place to learn about this fruit of the local fields is the historic estate Morgenster (Morning Star), which is part of Cape Governor Simon van der Stel's original 17th-century farm. In the mid-'90s the estate was restored to its original splendor, and olive trees were planted; it's now producing some of the best oils in the country. Five different olive cultivars—frantoio, leccino, favoloza, coratina, and peranzana—are pressed individually before they're blended. For R15 you can taste the olives, the oil, balsamic vinegar, and the delicious olive paste. Phone a day ahead if you're traveling in a group bigger than six. Vergelegen Ave., off Lourensford Rd., Somerset West, Somerset West, 7129. 021/852-1738. www.morgenster.co.za. Wine or olive tastings R15, R30 combined. Daily 10-4.
Kloovenburg Wine Estate. In addition to producing wine, this estate in the picturesque Riebeek Valley also makes olive oil and a delectable range of olive products that you can eat and rub on your body. Annalene du Toit, wife of the vineyard's owner, and one of her young sons took to the kitchen to come up with some of the olive concoctions, and they only sell what they like to eat. R46 just outside Riebeek Kasteel as you're coming down the pass into Riebeek Valley, Somerset West, 7307. 022/448-1635. www.kloovenburg.com. Tastings free. Reservations essential. Weekdays 9-4:30, Sat. 9-2.
Fairview. This vineyard in the Suid-Agter-Paarl area has a range of olive oils it's proud of. You can taste single-cultivar oils and take home a bottle of your own particular blend. Or you can just buy the farm's oil, along with its excellent wines and goat's-milk cheeses. WR3, off R101 (Suid-Agter-Paarl Rd.), Suider-Paarl, 7646. 021/863-2450. www.fairview.co.za. Wine and olive-oil tasting R15. Weekdays 8:30-5, Sat. 8:30-4, Sun. 9:30-4.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Cape Town Central Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Book 3-Star Sweet Lemon Boutique Bed & Breakfast Fr $55+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Cape Town Central Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1752 Expedia
- Explore The Caribbean with Royal Caribbean International Fr $709 Expedia
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Protea Breakwater Lodge Fr $107+/Nt — $107 Save with Expedia, $35/night less