- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Montagu bills itself as "the Gateway to the Little Karoo," and its picturesque streets lined with Cape Victorian architecture lend this some credence. Today the town's main attraction is its natural hot springs, and many of the Victorian houses have been transformed into B&Bs and guesthouses. You know you're in a special place when farmers drop off their produce at the Honesty Shop (an unmanned shop that operates on the honor system) and buyers leave money for what they owe.
There are a number of resorts where you can stay and "partake of the waters."
Montagu at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Western Cape
- Arniston (Waenhuiskrans)
- Betty's Bay
- Elands Bay
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town Central Savings! Book at Taj Cape Town Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Protea Breakwater Lodge Fr $107+/Nt Save with Expedia, $35/night less
- Cape Town Central 5-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1825 Expedia
- See Cape Town Central with Celebrity Cruises, 14 Nts Fr $1,719 Expedia
- May deal: Sweet Lemon Boutique Bed & Breakfast Fr $55+/Nt — $55 Expedia