- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cederberg Private Cellar
Cederberg Private Cellar Review
The Cederberg might be the last place you'd expect to find a vineyard, but that's what makes Cederberg Private Cellar so unusual. It's been in the Nieuwoudt family for five generations. When old man Nieuwoudt, known to everyone as "Oom Pollie," planted the first vines in the 1970s, all his sheep-farming neighbors thought he had gone mad. Today, however, winemaker David Nieuwoudt and his viticulturist father, Ernst, are laughing all the way to the award ceremonies. At an altitude of around 3,300 feet, this is the highest vineyard in the Western Cape, and consequently is almost completely disease-free. They don't have to spray for the mildew and mealybugs that are the bane of wine farmers in the Winelands and Constantia. The chenin blanc wins one award after another, and the bukettraube is a perfect accompaniment to South African curries. The exciting CWG Auction Reserve Teen die Hoog Shiraz is made from the upper portion of the best vineyard and coaxed to maturity in new oak, but, unfortunately, this is not for sale on the farm. The farm has self-catering accommodations and is near the Wolfberg Cracks (cracks in the mountain that lure hikers) and Malgat (a huge rock pool), both well-known Cederberg attractions. The Cederberg Observatory also operates on this farm on Saturdays. It's an open-air wonder run by passionate stargazers, who give a slide presentation when the weather permits and then help you spot faraway galaxies on their superpowerful telescopes. Make sure you call ahead to reserve your space. Tastings occur for no fewer than five people.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Hollow On The Square Cape Town City in May: $106 & Up Expedia
- $99 & Up: Mandela Rhodes Place 4-Star Hotel in Cape Town Central Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Cape Town Central Fr $2012 Expedia
- 9 Nt Cruise on Sale: See Cape Town Central Fr $659 Expedia
- May deal: Waterfront Village Fr $138+/Nt — $138 Expedia
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
I have been attempting to book a trip to Africa for a year now, not sure I am any closer to an itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more