- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Le Ballon Rouge
At a Glance
- central location
- personal and attentive service
- airport shuttle can be arranged
- few rooms available
- children under 12 not allowed
Check Rates from our Partners
Le Ballon Rouge Review
If you fancy being in the heart of the village, Le Ballon Rouge makes a good base. Here you're just a five-minute walk from galleries, restaurants, and the general buzz. The guesthouse—in a restored 1904 Victorian homestead—is both welcoming and relaxing. The rooms are individually decorated in a pleasing mix of traditional and contemporary; a brass bedstead sits in one room, a modern four-poster in another. The Owner's Suite, which can be yours despite the name, has a private deck and Jacuzzi with a mountain view—just the thing for a starry evening with a glass of Franschhoek's best. Private wine tours and safaris can be arranged.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
I have been attempting to book a trip to Africa for a year now, not sure I am any closer to an itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more