- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Pakhuis Pass Review
East of Clanwilliam the R364 becomes a spectacularly scenic gravel road called Pakhuis Pass. Fantastic rock formations glow in the early morning or late afternoon. There's even a mountain range called the Tra-Tra Mountains, a completely fantastical name for a suitably fantastical landscape. A steep, narrow road to the right leads to the mission town of Wuppertal, with its characteristic white-thatch houses. You can drive this road in an ordinary rental car, but be very careful in wet weather. There are no guided tours, but there is a factory where you can see and buy sturdy handmade leather shoes and boots. Another way of seeing Pakhuis Pass is to take a Donkey Cart Adventure trip down to the tiny remote village of Heuningvlei, a former Moravian mission station. Currently only 20 families live here—making a modest living as subsistence farmers.
- Location: Clanwilliam
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town Central Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Book 3-Star Sweet Lemon Boutique Bed & Breakfast Fr $55+/Nt Expedia
- 5-Star Cape Town Central Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2126 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 9 Nt Cruise! Royal Caribbean International Fr $659 Expedia
- Save at 3.5-Star Protea Breakwater Lodge: $107 & Up in May — $107 Save with Expedia, $35/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
My family - which includes our two 14 year-old children - are considering a 2 week trip to South Africa at the end of July. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more