- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- toy box provided for children in the rooms
- easy walk into town and to other sites
- lodge has an international feel and you could be anywhere in the world
- summer heat is a killer
Clanwilliam Lodge Review
In an area known more for its magnificent landscape than its fine lodging, Clanwilliam Lodge is something of an anomaly. Creams and taupe decorate the contemporary, sophisticated rooms, with nary a dried flower or knickknack in sight. The rooms at this lodge, which in its previous life was a drab girls' hostel, range from basic to luxurious. There's a simple hiker's room for those just wanting to crash for the night, as well as family suites and the Presidential Suite, with a four-poster bed and huge bathtub. When the temperatures rise in summer, the pool area, with its bedouin-style daybeds, is a great place to lounge with a cold drink in hand. There's also a treatment room, so after some hard days roughing it in the mountains you can freshen up with a facial and massage. The restaurant has a pizza oven and a nightly buffet that can satisfy even the hungriest hiker.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more