- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tulbagh Country House
At a Glance
- lovely antiques, reasonable rates
- braai facilities available
- quiet nightlife
- few rooms available
- cold in winter
Check Rates from our Partners
Tulbagh Country House Review
Ginny Clarke, owner of this guesthouse with comfortable beds and hearty breakfasts, is warm, friendly, and open—just the sort of qualities you'd expect from somebody in a small country town. She's also a mine of information about the village. The house was built in 1809 and has been declared a national monument. There's even a resident ghost who appears periodically to make sure things are running as they should. If you don't feel like eating out, you can use the braai (barbecue) facilities, but there are a number of good restaurants within walking distance. Ginny will also pack you a picnic basket on request.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more