- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In the days when ships of the Dutch East India Company used Cape Town as a refreshment station on the way to the East, a ship would fire a cannon as it entered the harbor to let farmers know provisions were needed, and a set of relay cannons, all set on hilltops, would carry the message far inland. One such cannon was on this farm, which was then called Kanonkop, Afrikaans for Cannon Hill. The beauty of Kanonkop today is not in its history or its buildings but in its wine. Winemaker Abrie Beeslaar has taken over from the legendary Beyers Truter (a very hard act to follow), but Kanonkop continues to reel in numerous awards and accolades. Paul Sauer, a blend of about 80% cabernet sauvignon with the balance made up of equal parts merlot and cabernet franc, rakes in awards year after year, and the winery won two golds and a silver at the Decanter World Wine Awards in May 2009. Check out the 2007 Pinotage and its 2005 cab sauv. You're going to wish you could take caseloads home with you. There are no guided cellar tours, but during harvest you can do a walkabout in the cellar to see all the action. An added attraction to this farm is the art gallery that opened in October 2008. The thinking behind the project was to bring fine South African art—and wine—to the people. It has succeeded!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Cape Town Central Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Book 3-Star Sweet Lemon Boutique Bed & Breakfast Fr $55+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Cape Town Central Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1752 Expedia
- Explore The Caribbean with Royal Caribbean International Fr $709 Expedia
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Protea Breakwater Lodge Fr $107+/Nt — $107 Save with Expedia, $35/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
Single older guy, I am flying to Joberg, renting a car there and driving to Kruger. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic ... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more