Europ Assistance arranges emergency evacuation. 0860/635-635. www.europassistance.co.za.
For a general emergency, dial the South Africa Police Service. 10111 from landline; 112 from mobile phone. www.saps.gov.za.
For an ambulance, call the special ambulance number or SAPS. 10177.
Money Matters. The unit of currency is the rand (R), with 100 cents (¢) equaling R1. Bills, which are differentiated by color, come in R10, R20, R50, R100, and R200 denominations. Coins are minted in R5, R2, R1, 50¢, 20¢, 10¢, 5¢, 2¢, and 1¢ denominations.
Passports and Visas. A valid passport (for infants as well as adults) with two blank facing visa pages is needed to enter South Africa for visits of up to 90 days. Your passport must be valid for at least six months after your return date, or you will be denied entry. There is no visa fee for Americans.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- Cape Town & Namibia — $3,939 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore