- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Gold Souk Review
Take sunglasses when you visit the Gold Souk—no matter what time of day. The window displays shine with precious metals and cut stones that are so reflective they nearly strain your eyes. The Gold Souk is one of the world's most important jewelery trading centers, catering to customers from the Gulf region and beyond. Trade in gold reached $5.23 billion in the third quarter of 2007, and it's estimated that 20% of the world's gold stock passes through Dubai. Thirty-five percent of sales go to the domestic market, meaning visitors from all over the world purchase 65% of Dubai's gold. In a region where the mobile Bedouin lifestyle was the norm until about a generation ago, gold is a precious commodity, with worth far beyond its beauty. Jewelry was a portable method of storing wealth, and gold still makes up part of a woman's wedding dowry in many societies in Africa, the Arabian Gulf, and India. Citizens of these countries flock to Dubai to buy gold because prices are some of the most competitive in the world. Gold is sold by weight here, based on daily rates, and precious stones cut and polished in Antwerp, Belgium, change hands for much less than they do in Europe.
It's fun to shop or browse here, and the souk is also great for people-watching, as it may be one of the world's most international marketplaces.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Dubai From 637 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Dubai Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $187+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Dubai for Less: Hotels Fr $109+/Nt Travelocity
- Save at 5-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Dubai Fr $1530 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $649 Expedia
It is an awesome Indian restaurant in UAE.
Our Indian food is liked by all and have awesome reviews..
This restaurant's page is also available at www.anindian.com ........
Here's some details about it:- Read more
I just returned from a trip via Emirates Air to Africa with a stopover in Dubai. Read more
Stopping over in Dubai during my trip to India, Travelling with our boys 5y and 7y. Read more
· News & Features
The United Arab Emirates may be best known for its luxury high rises and deluxe shopping malls, but look... Read more
Dubai has a monopoly on the biggest, tallest, and glitziest everything—and it's if-you-build-it-they-will-come... Read more
Swanky and indulgent, Dubai is the Middle East's hot spot, with endless entertainment, world-class shopping,... Read more