Prices in restaurants are very low, but hotels are relatively pricey. All banks in BSB charge a fee to cash traveler's checks and for credit card advances but ATMs are common. Credit cards are accepted in major hotels, restaurants, and shopping centers. In practice, coins are rarely used and prices often rounded to the nearest dollar. Bills higher in value than B$100 are rarely seen and may be difficult to change, except in banks.
Currency and Exchange
The national currency of Brunei is the Brunei Dollar (B$), which is divided into 100 sen. Bills are multi-colored and come in 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, 500, 1,000 and 10,000 B$ denominations. Commemorative B$20 and B$25 notes have also been issued but are rarely seen. Coins come in 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 sen denominations, but are rarely used. At this writing the exchange rate was B$1.22 to US$1. Note that Singapore is a major trading partner of Brunei and the Brunei dollar is maintained at an exact 1:1 exchange with the Singapore dollar.
There is no sales tax in Brunei.
Brunei has a non-tipping culture. More up-market hotels and restaurants may add a 10% service charge to bills. This is usually made clear on restaurant menus and when booking hotel rooms. In the latter case it is normally incorporated into the quoted room rate. Elsewhere, tipping is not expected. Taxi drivers do not expect tips
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $235 & up -- Japan: Luxury Hotels, Save 50% Featured Destination: Japan
- $96 & up -- India: 5-Star Hotel near New Delhi w/Breakfast Accor Hotels
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- A World Apart IExplore
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 — $1,599 Featured Destination: Japan