- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Tunxi, also called Huangshan City, is the gateway to the Yellow Mountain area. Apart from being a transportation hub, Tunxi also has a charming strip of shops and restaurants and is a convenient place from which to take trips to Shexian and Yixian counties, famous for their historical architecture.
Side Trip to Shexian County
Shexian County has been called a living architectural art museum because of its natural beauty and array of historic buildings. Over the centuries, it has inspired philosophers, poets, and painters. Today, there is no lack of tourists but it's a pleasant day trip from Tunxi.
Side Trip to Yixian County
A pleasant day trip from Tunxi, Yixian County is the site of some beautiful ancient architecture set in peaceful surroundings. Don't expect a quiet day with the village to yourself; Yixian County receives nearly 2.5 million visits per year. But don't let that deter you: the UNESCO World Heritage sites in the area offer a rare glimpse of what ancient Anhui may have been like and are stunningly photogenic.
Tunxi at a Glance
Elsewhere in Anhui
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Nanjing: Save this May Fr $35+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Holiday Inn Nanjing Aqua City: $91 & Up in May Expedia
- May deal: Motel 168 (Nanjing Daguang Road) Fr $31+/Nt — $31 Expedia
- Book 5-Star Regalia & Spa Nanjing Qinhuai River Fr $158+/Nt — $158 Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Nanjing this May Fr $36+/Nt — $36 Expedia