Beijing to Shanghai Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Full Speed Ahead!
Bullet trains are rapidly changing the country's landscape, making life easier for everyone, including tourists. What took days now takes hours. A prime example is the Guangzhou-Wuhan high-speed railway, which only a few years ago took 10 hours, now travels over 600 miles in three hours (reaching top operational speeds of 350 km/h or 217 mph). Reliable, comfortable, and clean, these sleek and efficient trains are a convenient way to quickly jump between major cities and avoid taking domestic flights or long bus rides. And thanks to generous government funding, which is fueling a construction boom, the entire high-speed network is expected to reach 10,000 miles by 2020.
Most five-star hotels have business centers or travel desks that can help you book tickets for a small fee (Y30-60/ticket). With a country of 1.3 billion upwardly-mobile people, remember to book in advance—up to 10 days is recommended for long distances, but short distances such as Ji'nan to Qingdao or Hangzhou to Shanghai have frequent daily departures and can be booked the day before. At the station, look for the D-coded trains and the letters CRH, which signify high-speed rail. Just remember, this is still China; there's plenty of pushing and shoving to get to an assigned seat.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Lakeview Xuanwu in May: $101 & Up Expedia
- Book 4.5-Star Sheraton Nanjing Kingsley and Towers Fr $123+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Grand Nanjing: $114 & Up in May — $114 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Nanjing Fr $28+/Nt — $28 Expedia
- Nanjing Savings! Book at Grand Metropark Nanjing Fr $155+/Nt — $155 Expedia