- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
An increasingly common stop on the China tour circuit, some visitors regard Chengde as one of the highlights of their trip. With the Wulie River running through the town and the Yanshan Mountains serving as an impressive backdrop, Chengde is filled with magnificent examples of imperial architecture.
Chengde had been just another village until the Qing Dynasty emperor Kangxi stumbled upon it during a hunting trip. Now it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, home to one of the largest intact imperial gardens in China, the magnificent Mountain Resort, and the Eight Outer Monasteries. Although children enjoy romping through the imperial gardens, there's little else to entertain younger visitors. It's best to visit in summer or early autumn, as some tourist facilities close in the off-season.
Chengde at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Nanjing: Save at the Grand Nanjing in May Fr $114+/Nt Expedia
- Regalia & Spa Nanjing Qinhuai River in May: $158 & Up Expedia
- Book 4.5-Star Sheraton Nanjing Kingsley and Towers Fr $144+/Nt — $144 Expedia
- May deal: Motel 168 (Nanjing Hanzhong Road) Fr $36+/Nt — $36 Expedia
- Nanjing Savings! Book at Grand Metropark Nanjing Fr $156+/Nt — $156 Expedia