- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Suzhou has long been known as a place of culture, beauty, and sophistication. It produced scores of artists, writers, and politicians over the centuries, and it developed a local culture based on refinement and taste. Famous around the world for its carefully designed classical gardens, Suzhou's elegance extends even to its local dialect—Chinese often say that two people arguing in the Suzhou dialect sound more pleasant than lovers talking in standard Chinese.
Unlike in other cities in Eastern China, glass-and-steel office parks have been barred from the Old City center here, and this preservation makes Suzhou a pleasant place to explore. There is excellent English signage on the roads, and the local tourism board has even set up a convenient information center to get you on the right track.
Only an hour outside of Shanghai, the tourist trail here is well worn, and during the high season you will find yourself sharing these gardens with packs of foreign and domestic tour groups. It's worth getting up early to hit the most popular places before the crowds descend.
Suzhou at a Glance
- Blue Wave Pavilion (Canglang Ting)
- Grand Canal (Da Yunhe)
- Hanshan Temple (Hanshan Si)
- Humble Administrator's Garden (Zhuo Zheng Yuan)
- Joyous Garden (Yi Yuan)
- Lingering Garden (Liu Yuan)
- Lion's Grove Garden (Shizi Lin)
- Master of the Nets Garden (Wangshi Yuan)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Nanjing: Save at the Grand Nanjing in May Fr $114+/Nt Expedia
- Regalia & Spa Nanjing Qinhuai River in May: $158 & Up Expedia
- Book 4.5-Star Sheraton Nanjing Kingsley and Towers Fr $144+/Nt — $144 Expedia
- May deal: Motel 168 (Nanjing Hanzhong Road) Fr $36+/Nt — $36 Expedia
- Nanjing Savings! Book at Grand Metropark Nanjing Fr $156+/Nt — $156 Expedia