- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
A Good Tour
Haidian may be Beijing's technology and university district, but there's a lot of Old Beijing left here. Before you leave your hotel, ask for a boxed lunch (or grab some food at a nearby supermarket). Jump in a cab and head for the Summer Palace. Saunter around the lakes and ancient pavilions, and finally settle down somewhere secluded to enjoy a picnic.
When you're done with lunch and sightseeing, hop a cab to Hailong Shopping Mall. Go in and explore—the five-story shopping mall has every kind of computer or electronic device you could possibly want, often at deep discounts. Be careful when buying software, though, as most of it is pirated and illegal to bring back to the United States.
After you've shopped and you're ready to drop, head over to the Wudaokou Binguan for a selection of wonderful "snacks" that usually add up to a great dinner, and don't miss the zhapi, or mugs of fresh-from-the-tap beer. Taxi it on home in the wee hours.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Sale! Flights to Beijing From 725 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Beijing Savings! Book at The Great Wall Sheraton Fr $201+/Nt Save with Expedia, $26/night less
- May deal: The St. Regis Beijing Fr $223+/Nt Save with Expedia, $83/night less
- $2399+: 10-Nt China Vacation Incl. Beijing w/Hotels, Air & More ShermansTravel
- Hot Deal on a 5 Nt Cruise! Royal Caribbean International Fr $589 Expedia