- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Shaguo Ju (Shaguo ju)
Shaguo Ju (Shaguo ju) Review
Established in 1741, Shaguo Ju serves a simple Manchu favorite—bairou, or white-meat pork, which first became popular 300 years ago. The first menu pages list all the dishes cooked in the shaguo (the Chinese term for a casserole pot). The classic shaguo bairou consists of strips of pork neatly lined up, concealing bok choy and glass noodles below. Shaguo Ju emerged as a result of ceremonies held by imperial officials and wealthy Manchus in the Qing Dynasty, which included sacrificial offerings of whole pigs. The meat offerings were later given away to the nightwatch guards, who shared the "gifts" with friends and relatives. Such gatherings gradually turned into a small business, and white meat became very popular.
- Address: 60 Xisi Nan Dajie, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100034
- Phone: 010/6602-1126
- Metro Xidan.
- Location: Xicheng District
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Sale! Flights to Beijing From 725 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book 5-Star Pangu Seven Star Fr $369+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Beijing for Less: Hotels Fr $60+/Nt Travelocity
- $2399+: 10-Nt China Vacation Incl. Beijing w/Hotels, Air & More ShermansTravel
- Explore Asia with Royal Caribbean International Fr $1,149 Expedia
After spending a day and a half in Beijing, I make way to the West Beijing Train Station. Read more
My husband and I flew from Sydney Australia to Changsha, Hunan Province, China and spent two weeks visiting World Heritage listed mountain national parks, ancient village, water towns, classical gardens Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more