- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Xicheng District Top 5
1. Sipping coffee or an evening cocktail lakeside at Houhai or on one of the rooftop restaurants or bars overlooking the lake.
2. Exploring Houhai's well-preserved hutongs and historical sites by pedicab or bicycle.
3. Skating on Houhai Lake in winter or, in the warmer months, taking an evening boat tour of the lake. Dine onboard on barbecued lamb provided by
Kaorouji. Kaorouji, an old lakeside restaurant specializing in Chinese-style barbecue. Romantics, take note: you'll be serenaded by your own personal pipa (four-stringed lute) musician. 14 Qianhai Dongyan, just southeast of the Silver Ingot Bridge, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100009. 010/6404-2554.
4. Wandering the hills and temples of historic Beihai Park. In the evening, eat the way the emperors did with an imperial banquet at Fangshan Restaurant in the park.
5. Shopping for great gifts and snazzy clothes on the cheap at Xidan.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Sale! Flights to Beijing From 725 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Beijing Fr $177+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Beijing this May Fr $48+/Nt Expedia
- 5-Star Beijing Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1669 Expedia
- Explore Asia with Royal Caribbean International Fr $1,109 Expedia