- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Shanghai
Skyline Views. Head to the top of the Jetsons-esque Pearl Tower or the pagoda-inspired Jin Mao and count the cranes restructuring the city's skyline.
Shanghai Museum. The Bund and the glamorous Plaza 66 are the up-and-coming designer areas. If you want something more "Chinese," the boutiques in and around Xintiandi offer very stylish fusion pieces.
Shopping Overload. The Hong Kong Heritage Museum chronicles the city's history. On a Lantau Island hill, the 242-ton Tian Tan Buddha statue sits in the lotus position beside the Po Lin Buddhist Monastery.
Yu Garden. When not too crowded, the garden offers peace and beauty amid the clamor of the city, with rocks, trees, and walls curved to resemble dragons, bridges, and pavilions.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe