Nightlife & the Arts in Shanghai
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Fueled equally by expatriates and an increasingly adventurous population of locals, Shanghai boasts an active and diverse nightlife. Shanghai lacks the sort of performing-arts scene one would expect from a city its size, but it's getting there. Things like acrobatics are solely of interest to tourists; however, traditional forms of Chinese opera remain popular with older citizens and are even enjoying a resurgence among young people.
Browse Shanghai Nightlife
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe