- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Chinese Phrases
Songpan has experienced quite a construction boom over the past five years. The village with a couple of dirt roads and no accommodations has become a small, ever-growing town with several hotels and even Western-style restaurants. The locals have spruced up the streets and built nice new wooden signs, often with English translations. The old town is not that old any longer, but the mosque by the river is a beautiful sight in the morning when the sunlight reflects off of the minaret.
Most people visit Songpan for the horses, and they do not leave disappointed. These horseback-riding treks through the surrounding countryside go on and on, the longest being 10 days.
Songpan at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Chengdu Fr $31+/Nt Expedia
- Chengdu Savings! Book at Somerset Riverview Chengdu Fr $130+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Chengdu this May Fr $144+/Nt — $144 Expedia
- Save in Chengdu: Book 3 Nts in May at Regal Master Fr $148+/Nt — $148 Save with Expedia, $45/night less
- Chengdu Savings! Book at Millennium Chengdu Fr $142+/Nt — $142 Save with Expedia, $33/night less