- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
With its cool mountain air and laid-back locals, Kunming is one of China's most comfortable big cities, and is an ideal base for Yunnan travels. It's one of the few cities in the country that regularly has blue skies, and is nicknamed the "Spring City." Despite this moniker, weather can be gray and soggy during the summer monsoon season and gray and cold around January and February.
Kunming is changing rapidly as the city is transforming into China's gateway to Southeast Asia. But despite the disappearance of the Old City and increasingly congested traffic, Kunming retains its unique character as a relaxed and somewhat idiosyncratic metropolis.
Kunming at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guilin Savings! Book at Shangri-La Guilin Fr $188+/Nt Expedia
- 4.5-Star Marriott Nanning Fr $115+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $33/night less
- Save in Nanning: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $38+/Nt — $38 Expedia