- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This coir-manufacturing city was once known as the Venice of India, though most residents have abandoned their canoes for cars. Alleppey (Alappuzha) is an important gateway to the backwaters—tour operators abound, and several resorts here offer a good alternative to the pricier properties in Kumarakom.
On the second Saturday in August throngs of supporters line the shore to watch the annual Nehru Cup Snake Boat Race, which starts with a water procession and concludes dramatically as the boats (propelled by as many as 100 rowers) vie for the trophy. Several snake-boat races take place in the area from mid-July to mid-September. Check with the Alleppey Tourism Development Cooperative (ATDC) for exact times and locations.
Alleppey at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Kochi (Cochin) Fr $24+/Nt Expedia
- Excellency on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $21+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Abad Fr $34+/Nt — $34 Expedia
- Book Now & Save 15%: Book the Abad Plaza 3 Nts in May Fr $72+/Nt — $72 Save with Expedia, $10/night less
- Kochi (Cochin) Savings! Book at Abad Metro Fr $40+/Nt — $40 Save with Expedia, $6/night less