- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kerala Hotel Reviews
Many Kerala resorts make use of traditional regional architecture, from tribal-style huts to elaborate wooden manors. Heritage properties transplant or reassamble traditional teak wood homes, while other hotels are newly built in the old style, helping to support traditional carpentry.
In cities, most hotels have air-conditioning, but many resorts in less populated and cooler areas do not. Beach properties often rely on fan and sea breezes, and in the hilly interior, air-conditioning is usually unnecessary. Some buildings have no window screens, so if a cool and/or bug-free sleep is part of your plan, ask about both. Many resorts, even upscale establishments, don't have TVs in guest rooms. Outside of cities, power supply is tenuous. Most hotels have their own generators, but they take a few seconds to kick in. Don't be surprised if you're left in the darkness for a moment—it's unavoidable.
Some lodgings charge a 10% service fee, and the state government tacks on another 6%-16%, depending on the facilities. In luxury places, count on paying up to 25% in taxes. You may be able to offset such fees with off-season discounts—around 50% during the monsoon season, from June to August. On the other hand, many hotels charge higher-than-usual rates in peak season, from mid-December to mid-January.
Browse Kerala Hotels
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3.5-Star Estuary Island Fr $52+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $22/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) this May Fr $45+/Nt Expedia
- Starting Fr $28: Great Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Price — $28 Hotels.com
- The Residency Tower on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $122+/Nt — $122 Expedia
- Save $$ in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum): Book Fr $102+/Nt — $102 Hotels.com