Khajuraho Travel Guide
Fodor's Essential India
The UNESCO World Heritage Site temples of Khajuraho are known for their carved erotic images, but they are also examples of advanced architecural styles. The soaring shikharas (spires) of the temples are meant to resemble the peaks of the Himalayas, the abode of Lord Shiva. The spire of each temple rises higher than the one before it, as in a range of mountains that seems to draw near the heavens. Designed to inspire the viewer toward the highest human potential, these were also the builders' attempts to reach upward, out of the material world, to moksha, the final release from the cycle of rebirth. It's definitely worth a visit here, though getting to Khajuraho is not easy.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Khajuraho restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Khajuraho
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $96 & up -- India: 5-Star Hotel near New Delhi w/Breakfast Accor Hotels
- India Experience IExplore
- Classical India IExplore
- Southern India Experience — $1,099 IExplore
- Enlightened India (18-Day) — $9,995 IExplore
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I travelled to Agra in feb & spent 2-1/2 days there. Read more
It’s been almost three weeks since my return from India and I still am dreaming of tigers and eating homemade naan. Read more