- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Jodhpur, Rajasthan's second-largest city, is known as the Blue City because of the azure-painted houses of the Old City, which are especially impressive when viewed from the ramparts of Mehrangarh Fort. The city, at the base of a sandstone ridge, was the capital of the Marwar kingdom for five centuries, and it's encircled by a 9-km (6-mile) wall, which keeps out the desert sands. It was named after its 15th-century founder, Rao Jodha, chief of the Rathore clan of Marwar. The clan traces its lineage to Lord Rama, hero of the ancient Hindu epic The Ramayana.
There isn't that much to do in Jodhpur, aside from a few sites including the incredible Mehrangarh Fort, and many people use the city as a jumping-off point for Jaisalmer, or as a place to overnight on the way to Jaipur or Udaipur.
Getting around Jodhpur is relatively easy. Take an auto-rickshaw up the hillside and walk through the massive, impeccably maintained Mehrangarh Fort, saunter through the Umaid Bhawan Palace Museum, and wander through the chaotic and colorful markets full of fruit, textile, and handicraft stalls near the city's clock tower. If you have time, Jodhpur is an especially good place from which to take a camel safari into the desert.
Jodhpur at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Starting Fr $28: Great Jodhpur Price Hotels.com
- Book in Jaipur: Save at the Holiday Inn Jaipur in May Fr $47+/Nt Expedia
- Save in Jodhpur: Book 3 Nts in May at Ranbanka Palace Fr $73+/Nt — $73 Expedia
- $62 & Up: Clarks Amer 4-Star Hotel in Jaipur — $62 Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- Explore Jodhpur For Less! Book Fr $74+/Nt — $74 Hotels.com