Indonesia Travel Guide
Fodor's Amsterdam's 25 Best
Though you'd never know it on some of the country's more exclusive beaches, Indonesia is home to more than 200,000,000 people. And though it is the largest economy in Southeast Asia, be aware that poverty still remains a problem. The country's capital city (and its commercial and economic center) Jakarta suffers from gridlock and widespread pollution but respite can be found in less urbanized islands, the most well known of which is the tropical paradise of Bali. Thanks to country's size and climate, Indonesia has enormous biodiversity, with 1,500 endemic species of birds and a big, glittering array of coral reef fish.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Indonesia restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Indonesia
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Indonesia Experience IExplore
- Temples of Bali & Borobudur IExplore
- Temples of Bali & Borobudur — $5,195 IExplore
Immerse Yourself in Balinese Culture. Bali is crowded with tourists, yes, but its rich art scene is not to be missed.... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Apparently 2013 is the year of major airline uniform upgrades.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
About four hours after leaving Bangkok some of the islands of Indonesia come into view as we make our initial descent into Bali. Read more
Seriously awesome Christmas vacation this year for the Smiths. Read more