- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
It's a mystery why some ramen restaurants are famous and millions are not. This ordinary-looking 10-stools-at-the-plastic-counter joint in Susukino has had lines of faithful outside since 2000 (a lifetime in ramen shop terms) and is still chopping, boiling, and serving its six-item menu: miso, cha-shu (pork slice), negi (leeks), butter corn, karai (spicy), and nin-niku (garlic). There's even a branch in the Ramen Museum in Yokohama. At the original shop you order while standing in line outside, pay when you claim a counter spot, and then wait for the cook to hand down the steaming bowl (topped generously with vegetables) from the raised and hidden kitchen. Ahhh. Maybe you'll deduce the secret of good ramen. It's open until 4 am.
- Address: Minami 6, Nishi 3, Susukino, Sapporo, 064-0806
- Phone: 011/552-4601
- Location: Sapporo
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- Imperial Japan IExplore
- Imperial Japan — $9,975 IExplore
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am planning a trip to Japan for Nov. Read more
· News & Features
Whether as an ending to a South American tour or as a trip of solely outdoor adventures, Patagonia calls... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more