- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
The two major sights in central Kyoto are the opulent Nijo Castle and the more modest Imperial Palace. The latter requires permission, and you must join a guided tour. Central Kyoto is a big shopping destination: west of the Kamogawa to Karasuma-dori and on the north - south axis between Shijo-dori and Oike-dori, there are department stores, specialty shops, and restaurants.
Central Kyoto at a Glance
- Ask a Giraffe
- Ca' Del Viale
- Café Bibliotic HELLO!
- Café Indépendants
- Giro Giro Hitoshina
- Manzaratei Nishiki
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel