- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
At a Glance
- excellent reputation
- doting, incomparable service
- extremely expensive
- must reserve dinner a day in advance
Check Rates from our Partners
The most famous of Kyoto's traditional inns, Tawaraya has been host to dignitaries, presidents, and royalty. Notable guests have included Marlon Brando, Alfred Hitchcock, and Steven Spielberg. Founded more than 300 years ago and currently run by the 11th generation of the Okazaki family, the hotel is known not only for its hospitality, but also for the sumptuous but subdued decor, impeccable service, and splendid gardens. Every room is unique, furnished with superb antiques from the family collection. Private baths are made from fragrant cedar. Other amenities include a library, an elegant gift shop, and a superb kaiseki ryori dinner. Reservations are accepted up to a year in advance.
- Address: Fuyacho-Aneyakoji-agaru, Nakahakusan-cho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto, 604-8094
- Phone: 075/211-5566
- Location: Central Kyoto
- 18 Japanese-style rooms.
- Rate includes some meals.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
This October, my husband and I are stopping off Narita for 11 days on our way back to USA from Taipei. Read more
· News & Features
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more
There are infinite reasons to hit both Tokyo and Kyoto while visiting Japan (mochi donuts, anyone?). So,... Read more
This pass offers unlimited travel on Japan Railways (JR) trains...... Read more