- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Since 1722, Mankamero's specialty has been yusoku ryori, cuisine intended for members of the Imperial Court. Every step of the meal is incredibly elaborate, down to the ceremonially dressed chef who prepares your dishes using specially made utensils. A dramatic, if repellently named, course is the "dismembered fish," in which each part of a single fish is prepared and served on a series of pedestal trays. Prices reflect the aristocratic experience—up to ¥30,000 per person for the full repertoire. A wonderful take-kago (bamboo box) lunch set is within reach of commoners at ¥6,325, revealing a series of steamed surprises. Mankamero is on the west side of Inokuma-dori north of Demizu-dori. Look for the blue-tile roof.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 — $36 Featured Destination: Japan
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am thinking about transfer options from Narita to Tokyo (Sheraton Miyako Hotel). Read more
· News & Features
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more
There are infinite reasons to hit both Tokyo and Kyoto while visiting Japan (mochi donuts, anyone?). So,... Read more
This pass offers unlimited travel on Japan Railways (JR) trains...... Read more