- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
This branch of a Kyoto chain is perfect for an inexpensive home-style lunch. On the Philosopher's Path between Ginkaku-ji and Nanzen-ji, it's an ideal place to recharge between sights. Omen refers to the house specialty: men means noodles, and Omen's fabulous udon noodle soup is fantastic. Served broken down to its components—a basket of noodles and a platter of seasonal vegetables beside a bowl of steaming broth—it's meant to be consumed at a leisurely pace. Add what you like to the broth, plus some roasted sesame to taste. The salted mackerel is also excellent. The restaurant is country-style and comfortable, with a choice of counter stools, tables and chairs, or tatami mats. Reservations are accepted only on weekdays.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am planning a trip to Japan for Nov. Read more
· News & Features
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more
There are infinite reasons to hit both Tokyo and Kyoto while visiting Japan (mochi donuts, anyone?). So,... Read more
This pass offers unlimited travel on Japan Railways (JR) trains...... Read more