- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Kyushu
Diverse Cities: Fukuoka has free-wheeling nightlife, Nagasaki radiates Old World charm, Kumamoto's castle contrasts with traffic-heavy streets, and Kagoshima's palm trees calm travelers.
Gastronomy Domain: Find the sought-after Hakata ramen in Fukuoka. Nagasaki has chanpon (seafood and vegetable noodle soup), and Kagoshima has kurobuta tonkatsu (breaded pork cutlet).
Inside the Volcano: Mt. Aso is notoriously active, as is Sakura-jima, across the bay from Kagoshima. Hot springs are found throughout Kyushu.
Into the Wild: With its lava flows, outlying islands, rugged mountains, and national parks, Kyushu is an adventurer's dream. Most trails require only good shoes, water, and some time.
Remote Access: A high-speed train links Kumamoto with Kagoshima in an hour, and in another hour, you can be on the hot sand of Ibusuki's beaches.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3 Nts in Fukuoka this May Fr $170+/Nt Expedia
- 3-Star Canal City Fukuoka Washington Fr $136+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $109/night less
- Stay 3 Nights and Save 30% on Your Stay!: the b hakata in May — $78 Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- 3.5-Star Monterey Lasoeur Fukuoka Fr $86+/Nt — $86 Save with Hotels.com, $36/night less
- Special deal: 4-Star Hakata Excel Tokyu Fr $371+/Nt — $371 Expedia